Events Calendar

ARTS

Victoria Writers Festival

Book worms and word lovers alike won’t want to miss the Third Annual Victoria Writers Festival. Filled with events, workshops, and readings from authors, this event is great for lovers of all different genres: fiction, non-fiction, and children’s books. For more information check out victoriawritersfestival.org.

Oak Bay United Church, 1355 Mitchell St.
Nov. 6-8
Tickets vary in price.

COMMUNITY

Puppies in the SUB

What cures the midterm blues better than small fluffy creatures that want to lick your face? This adorable event is brought to you by UVic Student Ambassadors as part of UVSS Mental Health Week and their new Hi FIVE UVic movement aimed at eliminating stigma and raising awareness in mental health. So come and cuddle puppies until your distress turns to sugar from all the sweetness you’ll be experiencing.

UVic Student Union Building
Oct. 24, 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
Free

Scare Fair
Presented by the UVSS, this event is sure to scare you, but not in the student loan kind of way. The event will include an obstacle course complete with zombies and hay bales. There will also be virgin apple cider, pumpkin carving and apple bobbing, all while listening to fiddle music!

Outside the UVic SUB
Oct. 28, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Free

Night Shift: Living and Dying (Again) in Victorian Times: Bučan Bučan
Night Shift, the event that allows adults to explore the museum after dark, is going on again this time with a Halloween twist. Meet costumed guides who will introduce you to other, costumed characters that will teach you their past and even perform a Victorian 
séance. Bučan Bučan will also be performing. It’s like learning and partying at the same time!

Royal B.C. Museum, 675 Belleville St., Victoria, B.C.
Oct. 31, 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Tickets: $30 per person, 10 per cent discount for members.

Day of the Dead Fiesta 

El Día de los Muertos, one of the biggest holidays in Mexico, is coming to Victoria. The event includes music from artists Hank Pine, Bučan Bučan and BoneHoof. Best of all, alcoholic drinks are available for purchase. Come dance the night away while celebrating the dead. Costumes are strongly encouraged.

Open Space, 510 Fort St., 2nd floor
Nov. 1, doors open at 9 p.m.
Tickets: $15 at the door

MUSIC

Faculty Chamber Music Series

School of Music faculty performers come together in a concert for winds, voice, piano, harpsichord and strings. Performances include works by Schumann, Bach, Ginastera, and others.

MacLaurin Building, Phillip T. Young Recital Hall, Rm. B125
Nov. 1, 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Tickets: $18 regular, $14 for students, seniors and alumni

THEATRE

The Rocky Horror Show: LIVE
Come celebrate the 40th anniversary of this cult classic by seeing it live! No outside props will be permitted at this event, but authorized prop kits (toast, newspaper, toilet paper) will be available for purchase with your ticket.

Metro Theatre, 1411 Quadra St.
Oct. 23 to Nov. 1, 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. showings
Tickets: $30 for general admission, $35 with prop kit.