Events Calendar April 14–April 28

Events

ART

I Thought I Was the Only One

Concocted by Kerri Flannigan and the Youth of Island Sexual Health, this collaborative show has been in the works for six months. Art illuminates identity-forming coming-of-age themes and rites of passage, and 13 animated stories will humorously address empowerment, angst, consent, period parties, body hair, and other wildly interesting but less discussed elements of being an adolescent.

The fifty fifty arts collective, 2516 Douglas Street

Friday, April 22 at 7 p.m.

Admission by donation

MUSIC

Teenage Wedding, Brothers Touch, Fantasy Creeps, Z!k

Join Teenage Wedding for some synthy rock and pop stylings to welcome the warmer weather. Brothers and Lover’s Touch are sharing the relaxed rock collaboration they’re calling Brothers Touch. Fantasy Creeps will change the tone with their harder garage sound, and Z!k ties it all together with danceable rock.

Logan’s Pub, 1821 Cook Street

Saturday, April 16 at 9 p.m.

$8 at the door

Keenan Mittag-Degala Percussion Recital

Have you ever watched a classical drum performance? Me neither. Witness the talent from your very own campus: Keenan Mittag-Degala’s contemporary classical percussion recital is his graduating performance from UVic’s School of Music. The compositions are described as eclectic and vivid, featuring pieces by Hatzis, Andriessen, Colgrass, Alvarez, Sammut, and Pintér.

Philip T. Young Recital Hall

Thursday, April 21 at 8 p.m.

Free admission

Woodstockhausen Featuring Victoria Composers Collective and SCHOOLGIRL

This night will range from heavy rock to light experimental sounds. Local band SCHOOLGIRL perfects the art of noise and shares the stage with the Victoria Composers Collective. This sounds too strange to miss.

Copper Owl, 1900 Douglas Street

Thursday, April 28 at 8 p.m.

$10 at the door

Objects, Jeff K & the Depression, Gutterbird, Hot Garbage, Crow Campbell, and HOLY SMOKES

Objects are a super loud, relentless, high-energy band, perfect for blowing off steam at April’s end. Jeff K & the Depression will perform some ‘90s favourites from bands like Jimmy Eat World. Gutterbird deliver pop punk, followed by sweet DJ sets by Hot Garbage, Crow Campbell and HOLY SMOKES.

Lucky Bar, 517 Yates Street

Thursday, April 28 at 10 p.m.

$10 at the door

COMMUNITY

Victoria Likes Bikes

Calling all students without motor vehicles: The Greater Victoria Cycling Coalition brings you a bike-themed evening of presentations, education, and general praise for our two-wheeled friends. The night covers topics like benefits of bikes for businesses and the relationships between health and biking.

The Vic Theatre, 808 Douglas Street

Saturday, April 16 from 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.

$5 at the door

Victoria DIY Street Party

Inspired by the Commercial Drive Street Party in Vancouver, this is Victoria’s take on celebrating in the streets with nothing but a mobile sound system and the open sky. The project is completely DIY, so donations help, but otherwise there’s no admission fee.

Centennial Square

Friday, April 22 at 8 p.m.

Donations accepted at gofundme.com