Events Calendar: August 4–Sept 7

Events

ART

Beautiful British Columbia Show & Sale / Massey Gallery

We live in a beautiful place in Vancouver Island, and we live alongside some pretty talented artists who can make it look as good as (or better than) it does in real life. Come see some of those artists at the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria, and enjoy some gorgeous examples of why Vancouver Island truly is the place to be.

Art Gallery of Greater Victoria, 1040 Moss St.

Thursday, August 18, 10 a.m.

Admission by donation; open to all ages.

More info available at aggv.ca/events/beautiful-british-columbia-show-sale-massey-gallery

COMMUNITY

Cadboro Bay Music Festival

Unless you’re a young Anakin Skywalker, you probably love sand. With that in mind, the picturesque Cadboro-Gyro Park plays host to the Cadboro Bay Festival which features dozens of world-class sand sculptors doing their impressive and gravity defying thing. The event also features a full day of music, face painting, bouncy castles, and more. It doesn’t get more ‘fun for the whole family’ than this, folks.

Cadboro-Gyro Park, at the end of Sinclair Rd.

Sunday, August 7, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.

Free admission; open to all ages.

More info available at facebook.com/events/984852154946497/

Victoria Street Food Festival

Pierogi, poutine, souvlaki, oh my! Come down and stuff your gob with the just absurd amounts of fantastic street food available in Victoria. It can be healthy (there’s salad with fresh tuna or burgers made from beetroot) or it can be artery-clogging greasy fuel (like the grilled cheese pierogi sandwiches or the poutine with ground beef) but it’ll all be tasty as heck.

Centennial Square 

August 19–August 26, 11 a.m. – 9 p.m.

Free admission; open to all ages.

More info available at downtownvictoria.ca

MUSIC

Croatia CD release (w/ LABS and Bridal Party)

It’s a Victoria party at Lucky Bar as three local music fixtures play what’s sure to be an indie-pop dream night. LABS and Bridal Party open up for Croatia, who are celebrating the release of their new album, I Wish I Could Be Holy. Come be patriotic and enjoy the disproportionate amount of talent in our little town.

Lucky Bar, 517 Yates St.

Saturday, August 13, 8–11 p.m.; show starts at 8 p.m.

$10 admission at the door; 19+ only.

More info at luckybar.ca/calendar/?date=2016-08-13/

THEATRE

Mom’s the Word

Who doesn’t love moms? Head down to the Belfry to celebrate the most important people in the world with a play that’s been amusing mothers and others alike for over 20 years and on five continents. It’ll make you laugh, and it’ll make you cry, and it’ll probably make you the favourite child come Christmas. (And if you don’t go see it, at least call your mom, ok? Janet down the street keeps insulting her casserole so things are pretty rough at the moment.)

The Belfry Theatre, 1291 Gladstone Ave.

August 9–28; showtimes vary.

Tickets are $20–$52.

More info available at belfry.bc.ca/moms-the-word/