Events Calendar May 12–June 09

Events

ART

Art Café at the Victoria Event Centre

It’s not the first time we’ve featured this event in our calendar, but that’s because it’s such a cool thing to check out (or so I’ve heard). 15+ local artists and live music make for a great combo in any scenario, and when you add free snacks to the mix . . . hoo boy.

Victoria Event Centre, 1415 Broad St.

Wednesday, May 25; doors at 7 p.m.

Advance tickets $5; $10 at the door

More info available at artcafevictoria.com/contact/

COMMUNITY

Fairfield Gonzales Community Association Community-Wide Yard Sale

Phew, that was a mouthful. Residents of Fairfield and Gonzales are getting their wares prepped for you to do some serious secondhand shopping. Make sure you grab a map from Fairfield Gonzales Community Association the day of so you don’t get overwhelmed.

Fairfield Community Place, 1330 Fairfield Rd., and neighbouring area

Saturday, May 28, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.

More info at fairfieldcommunity.ca

Moss Street Market

You know what it is. Moss Street Market kicked off its 25th season on May 7, and if you haven’t been before, now’s the time. The market features over 25 local, organic farmers, and over 75 food and craft vendors. There’s even local music acts. I can think of worse ways to spend a Saturday.

Corner of Moss Street and Fairfield Road

Every Saturday until Oct. 26, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.

MUSIC

Save The Walbran Tour

Help save the Walbran Ancient Forest and protect the last of the old-growth forests on the B.C. coast with this non-profit music event. Speakers, artists, and grassroots community organizers are all coming together, with Shambala veteran DJ Anger, Joy District, Bousada, and other special guests providing some musical accompaniment.

White Eagle Hall, 90 Dock St.

Friday, May 27, 8 p.m.

Advance tickets $20 at Lyle’s Place

THEATRE

Blue Bridge Theatre presents Long Day’s Journey Into Night

Here’s something for the theatre nerds (and English nerds, myself included) to get excited about: Blue Bridge Theatre is launching their 2016 season with a production of playwright Eugene O’Neill’s semi-autobiographical masterpiece. This day in the life of a dysfunctional family is something you don’t want to miss on stage — even if you’ve only read it on the page (like me).

The Roxy, 2657 Quadra

May 10–22; showtimes and ticket prices available at bluebridgetheatre.ca/long-days-journey-into-night/

FLOTSAM & JETSAM: Life on the West Coast

The Other Guys theatre company presents this “rollicking musical revue” that celebrates the history and culture of our coastal community. The show features four Victoria-based performers (Rachel Capon, Colleen Eccleston, Kelt Eccleston, and Mark Hellman) against a backdrop of iconic images from British Columbia’s past and present.

The Vic Theatre, 808 Douglas St. 

May 19–29 nightly at 7:30 p.m.; matinées May 21, 22, 28, and 29 at 2 p.m.

Advance tickets $20, $15 for students/seniors; $25 at the door; purchase online at tix.thevic.ca or visit the box office at 1215 Blanshard St.