EVENTS : March 20 – 27

Arts

Thursday, March 20

Unity (1918)

Unity (1918), a play written and directed by UVic’s own Writing Department Associate Professor Kevin Karr, continues this week at the Pheonix Theatre. The wickedly dark play follows a group of townfolk in Unity, Saskatchewan, as their town is overtaken by the Spanish flu at the end of the First World War. Shows start at 8 p.m., with a special Saturday matinee at 2 p.m., at the Pheonix Theatre (off UVic’s Ring Road). Tickets are $22 for general admission and $14 for students.

Friday, March 21

Planet Earth Poetry

As part of the regular Friday night Planet Earth Poetry reading series, the Moka House (1633 Hillside Ave.) is hosting Rhea Tregebov, author of All Souls and The Knife-Sharpener’s Bell. The reading begins at 7:30 p.m., with sign-up for open mic starting at 7 p.m.

Saturday, March 22

The Rite of Spring

Choreographed to Stravinsky’s “Rite of Spring,” this performance by Ballet Victoria celebrates the piece’s 100th anniversary in a daring fashion, melding both the contemporary and the classical. The show takes place at UVic’s Farquhar Auditorium (in University Centre) at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $55 for general admission and $20 for students.

Community

Sunday, March 23

Victoria Flea Market

Running every Sunday from September to May, the Victoria Flea Market is a place where you can go to find unique items that are vintage, repurposed, or made locally. The market runs from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and admission is $2 for adults, while children are free to get in. You can stop by for the last half hour for free, however, because no admission is charged after 1:30 p.m.

Food and Drink

Thursday, March 20

Reef Rum Nights 

The Reef is hosting the third in a four-night series of rum tastings to delight the rum head in everyone, featuring Ron Matusalem rum. Call to reserve your seats at The Reef on 533 Yates St. The event begins at 6 p.m. If you miss out on this rum night, there will be another one featured on April 17, with Mount Gay rum.

Lectures

Monday, March 24

How to Protect our Coast

Representatives from local environmental organizations will talk about the No Tankers initiative, to discuss the risk of oil spills with the potential approval of the Enbridge and Kinder Morgan pipelines to B.C.’s coast. Join the panel discussion, from 7–9 p.m. at Esquimalt United Church (500 Admirals Rd.).

Music

Friday, March 21

Elvis Elvis Elvis

Don’t miss the King, back in action at the McPherson Playhouse at 8 p.m., as three top Elvis tribute artists perform hits from three different stages of Elvis’ career. Tickets are $44.75.

Thursday, March 20

Tom Vickery Trio & Jazz Jam

As part of Hermann’s Jazz Club’s 33rd anniversary celebration, the Tom Vickery Trio will perform one set, before local musicians join them on stage for the jam. Doors open at 6 p.m. and tickets cost $8 ($5 for students) at the door.

Thursday, March 27

The Boom Booms

The Boom Booms is a six-piece, self-described Latin-soul-funk-rock-reggae band that is coming to Upstairs Cabaret for a rollicking good time. Doors open at 9 p.m., and tickets cost $16 at the doors, or $13 in advance. Please note this is a 19+ event.