Fringe: Hello, My Name is Matthew Payne

The 26th annual Victoria Fringe Festival runs Aug. 23 – Sept. 2 at nine different venues throughout the city. The Fringe brings acts from all over the world to perform their shows. Musical, comedic, heartbreaking and tantalizing shows can all be found at the Fringe. This year also marks the first time that Family Fest has been included: a group of shows at the Langham Court Theatre that are for children and their families. This Fringe Fest appeals to all audiences, so be sure to not miss out.

Hello, My Name is Matthew Payne

Shows: St. Andrew’s School Gym, 1002 Pandora Ave.
Saturday, Sept. 1 @ 11 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 2 @ 4 p.m.
$11 (Plus $5 Fringe Visa Button)

Everyone’s typed their name into Google to see what pops up. Matthew Payne has taken it a step further by contacting the other Matthew Paynes and recording the conversations in his quest to contact as many as possible. Matthew Payne presents all his successes and failures through a multimedia display of recorded phone calls and YouTube videos in his journey to explore ego and what it means to be Matthew Payne.

Martlet: Where did you get the idea or inspiration for your play?

Matthew Payne: The idea has been in my head for years — since the invention of the internet.

Martlet: If you could sum up your play in a sentence or phrase, what would it be?

MP: A man with a telephone and the internet trying to find people with his name.

Martlet: What is the worst experience you’ve had while performing?

MP: I was once brought out of an alley at gunpoint by the police.

Martlet: What is the best experience you’ve had while performing?

Martlet: If your character(s) could have actor(s) portray them in a film, who would they choose and why?

MP: There are actors named Matthew Payne out there …