Idle No More: UVic to Toronto

A demonstrator waves a flag during an Idle No More protest on January 11, 2013 at Yonge Dundas Square in Toronto.

A demonstrator waves a flag during an Idle No More protest on January 11, 2013 at Yonge Dundas Square in Toronto. — Hugo Wong (Photo)

Thursday and Friday saw more Idle No More protests across Canada. Thursday at UVic, a demonstration was held in the Bus Exchange, interrupting service at the university. Friday saw a large crowd gather in downtown Toronto.

http://storify.com/TheMartlet/idle-no-more-at-uvic-and-toronto

One Comment

Avatar BlueMike

Idle participants are understandably confused. They are average people caught in a war between leaders who have failed to establish consensus in their community. However, leaders trying to leverage Idle No More into enforcement of treaties are leading their constituency nowhere. The treaties are of little value to Aboriginal People, having been superseded by contemporary times. Five dollars per year for each aboriginal person? Really? There is no cost-of-living clause in the treaties. The economy is advanced industrial capitalism, not feudalism.

C-32 and C-45 were negotiated with aboriginal leaders seeking to partner with private corporations in resource development. That’s the future – not fishing and hunting and handouts on-reserve.