DESIGN DIRECTOR (2017-2018)
In co-operation with the Martlet staff and in accordance with the bylaws and policies of the MPS, the design director will be responsible for the overall direction, continuity, and quality of the Martlet’s creative output.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Report to the Editor-in-Chief and the Business Manager on design and organizational decisions.
- Liaise with other part-time production staff of the Martlet.
- Take responsibility for the visual elements of the paper, website, and multimedia content, and with the Business Manager and the Editor-in-Chief, ensure all necessary requirements for bi-weekly publication of the paper have been met.
- Prepare and upload final press-ready PDF files to the printer.
- Work with the Business Manager to design ads.
- With the Editor-in-Chief, take responsibility for uploading content to the Martlet website (in absence of web editor).
- Act as an information resource person for staff members regarding principles of design and layout.
- Assist staff and volunteers with aspects of design and layout as required.
- Attend weekly critiques of the paper, cover meetings, and editorial meetings.
- Proficiency with Adobe InDesign in a Mac environment
- Proficiency with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator in a Mac environment
- Knowledge of newspaper layout principles
- Basic photo editing skills
- Demonstrable experience in creating informative graphic elements for print and web
- Familiarity with online content and/or publishing; experience with WordPress and social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) a bonus
- Ability to work to deadlines in a student-oriented environment with individuals who hold diverse perspectives
- Basic knowledge of defamation and copyright laws
- Commitment to the goals of the Martlet
- Proficiency with CMS and/or publishing an asset
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 28, 2017
Send your resume, cover letter, and portfolio materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only successful candidates will be contacted for interviews. Please note this is a part-time position.