May 29 Board of Governors Tweetcap

Tuesday, May 29’s board meeting was a casual one, held in a boardroom in the Michael Williams Building, rather than the typical location within the Senate Chambers.

Still, an important range of topics were discussed.

First, Dr. Sybil Seitzinger gave an update presentation on the work done at the Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions (PICS), an institution led and housed by the University of Victoria in collaboration with the University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University, and the University of Northern British Columbia.

Created in 2008 with an endowment from the B.C. Ministry of the Environment, PICS focuses on climate change research and solutions, a topic with global and local repercussions.

Seitzinger informed the board that PICS had recently undergone planning for a new strategic framework to last until 2022, with a revised mandate that would inform the institute’s direction.

After answering questions about PICS’s influence on campus, during which UVic President Jamie Cassels mentioned the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business’s recent achievement of becoming carbon neutral, the torch was passed to the Vice-President of External Relations Carmen Charette.

Both Charette and Chancellor Shelagh Rogers spoke to how successful the previous UVic advertising campaign had been, and said that UVic’s anecdotal reputation was certainly high.

Reputational advancement has been a key agenda item for the current UVic administration, and has been covered in more detail in previous issues by our writer Emily Fagan. You can read her story here.

The meeting continued with a financial report from Vice-President of Finance and Operations Gayle Gorrill, who spoke positively of UVic’s recent external audit. The results can be found here: I’d try summing them up for you, but you really don’t want that at all.

Finally, the board approved the 2018–2023 Strategic Framework, which was voted on and passed a few weeks ago by the Senate. The Framework articulates UVic’s vision and values in the years to come, focusing on six priorities: the university strives to “cultivate an extraordinary academic environment, advance research excellence and impact, intensify dynamic learning, foster respect and reconciliation, promote sustainable futures, and engage locally and globally.”

You can read the full framework here.

The next Board of Governors meeting — the last one of the 2017–2018 academic year — takes place on June 26, in Boardroom 120 of the Michael Williams Building.