Police seeking information on suspect over indecent exposure at UVic

A UVic student was flashed by a man in the Engineering Building on Wednesday morning, Oak Bay Police reports.

The student, who was studying late in the building, was approached by the suspect at around 1:07 a.m. The suspect exposed himself before attempting to start a conversation with the student who told the man to leave. The suspect did, and Campus Security (CSEC) and Oak Bay Police were called.

Both CSEC and Oak Bay PD conducted an extensive search but were not able to find the suspect, who they describe as a tall man, around 6’4″, with tightly-curled dark brown hair. He was wearing a black three-quarters length raincoat, black sweat pants and running shoes.

Safety bulletins have also been put up at various locations around campus. There were no other similar reported incidents on Wednesday.

This is not the first case of such harassment in recent times involving UVic students. In September 2016, several students reported being groped or flashed on and around campus. A young male was eventually arrested in connection with the incidents.

The Oak Bay PD is requesting that anyone with information regarding Wednesday’s incident to call them at 250-592-2424, call Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS, or submit information online at victoriacrimestoppers.ca.