Who is the whitest of them all? We should have a prize for that!

Graphic by Leone Brander, Graphics Contributor

The ‘cultural appropriation prize’, proposed by then-editor Hal Niedzviecki in an issue of Write magazine dedicated to Indigenous writers and the following bandwagon of high-profile white Canadians who publicly jumped on board shouldn’t surprise you.

Eurocentric views create the illusion of privileged entitlement to, well, everything. This mentality is ingrained in Canadian society. Welcome to what my world looks like, having to witness or experience things like this every day.

Indigenous lands have been stolen, exploited, and claimed by the Canadian settler state, and that same western conquest mentality applies to cultures as well. Cultural appropriation is a colonial mentality that demands theft, exploitation, and ownership of peoples and cultures.

It is why Halloween stores are filled with costumes of caricatures from cultures around the globe; why Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight, a novel series that heavily uses indigenous stories, is a billion dollar industry; and why J.K. Rowling is now doing the same thing in her newest fiction novel Magic in North America. White people want to naturalize cultural appropriation and this ‘cultural appropriation prize’ is a shining example of that.

Literature has always participated in the appropriation of non-white cultures as well as in the othering and exoticizing of them. This started with early invaders journaling their experiences which created a market for the consumption of these ‘new and exotic’ worlds that were being discovered. These stories were never told by the people of those worlds and cultures — they were always told through white invaders. To this day, there is still a fetish for the white storyteller — the white gaze that looks into other worlds and creates a fantasy.

Some of the first ‘indigenous stories’ were published by anthropologists who extracted indigenous stories and published them, often without permission and without ever sharing profits that were made. E. Pauline Johnson, an indigenous writer, created marketable performances and texts that would appease a white audience in the late 18th century by performing as an indian princess caricature who transformed into a ‘civilized’ Victoria woman. How has any of this changed? The need for indigenous texts to be tailored for the consumption of a white audience still exists.

White people are the target literary market and they are also the gatekeepers of publishing. I am an indigenous writer working on my second novel, but I have not yet published my first novel as white publishers and editors have asked me to change too much to make my work marketable and profitable to white Canada. Instead of publishing my novel as is, white Canada instead wants my story to be told through a white person and then have them receive an award for it!

When you do pick up an indigenous-authored text, do you know what you’re holding in your hands? Do you want to? Understand this — if you’re in North America, you are reading this on stolen land. Do you know the name of the indigenous peoples of the land you are on? When you hold an indigenous-authored text in your hands, you are holding centuries of intersecting power structures of colonialism, dispossession, capitalism, patriarchy, and genocide — in addition to indigenous resistance, knowledge, traditions, cultures, and languages.

Because of the current colonial ‘relationship’ between the Canadian state and indigenous peoples, indigenous literature is not just any other kind of literature. These colonial power structures exist within literature, and the consumption of it, as well in classrooms where literature is being taught and studied. This is why Canada would rather have indigenous stories told by white people so that they do not have to face the reality of their place and participation in a colonial state. Canada wants to hold onto the fantasy of a liberal multicultural nation in which we all peacefully, lovingly, and equally co-exist.

Markets are being developed on the appropriation of non-white cultures around the world and literature is no exception. Calling out cultural appropriation is a people of color driven movement to create accountability for the theft and misuse of cultures, and to bring awareness to the forefront for the dismantling of white supremacist power structures.

If you are a white writer, you can make the choice not to use the culture and stories of people of color. As a publisher or editor, you can choose to publish, support, and invest in writers of color. This choice is your privilege. Canada, don’t create and appropriate.

• Charles

“i feel offended” therefore everyone else should shut up. The author of this appropriated my language, writing, using the concept of nation states, continents and of course publishing and funny enough the internet… which is the free exchange of information. Go to china and see how much free information you can get.

• Adeimantus

Those “white” publishers who want you to change your writing? That’s what editors do to EVERYONE. In fact it’s a common criticism of works of literature that they didn’t receive a proper edit (a favorite example that comes to mind is Robert Heinlen’s “Stranger in a Strange Land,” which was vastly reduced in size in its earliest editions due to edits).

• Palewis

Whatever do you think this article is supposed to do to help ‘your cause?’ You are just advancing the other sides agenda by displaying this nonsense

• ben

It’s no wonder your books are rejected. Rowling by the way was rejected probably 20x more than you. But her writing is not full of cancerous resentment. No one needs to know your race so saying racism is the cause of your rejection is just a lie you tell yourself to keep writing this garbage.

Oh and the stolen land of Canada: 99% of it was ignored for hundreds of years and now that people have been generating wealth from it-you want a cut for doing nothing? No. I’m First Nations too and I think you’re hurting us and yourself with your cancerous attitude.

• Taziar

“If you’re in North America, you are reading this on stolen land. Do you know the name of the indigenous peoples of the land you are on?”

You do realize that indigenous people fought over land as well, right? So there is a strong chance that whatever tribe you think ‘owned’ it very likely kicked a different tribe off that land.

• Holly Keefe

Could this person be any more full of themselves?

• dudemeister

As a White reader I support the premise of this article for I care 0 about POC stories and too many White writers have been including them in their work, thus degrading the quality of the enterprise.

• Saffron Blaze

You can’t ask for diversity and multiculturalism then deny those willing to participate in those endeavors a chance to share each other’s culture. Moreover, the whole debate of cultural appropriation ignores the role sharing of cultures, freely, plays in acceptance of those cultures and fosters understanding as well.

This article represents the worst type of divisive ideology. It sets people against each other using the oppressor/oppressed narrative.

• Anonymoose

Complaining about authors being inspired by indigenous stories is idiotic.
    If indigenous people are actually upset and believe that they’re the only ones with the right to tell them, then write some good books.

The Bible is an inspiration for a lot of books and movies. Jews and Christians don’t complain about it. They weren’t mad that’s The Passion of the Christ brought in hundreds of millions of dollars.

Do the majority of people with indigenous heritage actually care? My native friend’s (they’re from the Squamish Nation) have never complained. They think it’s ridiculous that white people want to be offended on their behalf.

• getreal

indigenous people write great books. But you’re the reason they’ll never sell or get the credit they deserve

• Anonymoose

Please, tell me more. What did I suggest that stops an indigenous person from writing their own stories or stories inspired by their traditional stories, and then publishing and selling them?

• Adeimantus

That doesn’t make any sense. What did Anonymoose do to cause Indigenous authors to not get credit? Back this up, please.