2016 Holiday Events Calendar

Culture Events

ARTS

THE NERDY DAYS OF CHRISTMAS CRAFT FAIR

We all have nerds in our life that will need some kickass presents for the big day. Stop buy and see all things geeky made by local artisans. There will be a silent auction and door prizes too with all proceeds going to the Victoria Hospitals Foundation.

Sunday, Dec. 4, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Ambrosia Event Centre, 638 Fisgard St.

Admission by donation to the Victoria Hospitals Foundation.

MUSIC

TUBA CHRISTMAS

Imagine entering Market Square while a sea of tuba players serenade you with christmas carols—that’s pretty much what this is. All donations go to the Times Colonist Christmas fund.

Saturday, Dec. 10, 1–3 p.m.

Market Square, 560 Johnson St.

Admission by donation and open to all ages.

“MASTERS OF RHYTHM” LIVE IN CONCERT

You know that African hand drumming course UVic is famous for? This event showcases the class’s finest as well as Juno-award-winning percussion stars to bring us the beats: Weedie Braimah, Amadou Kouyate, Naby Camara.

Friday, Dec. 2, 8–10 p.m.

UVic, Phillip T. Young Recital Hall of the MacLaurin Building Room B125

Tickets are $25 for general admission, $18 for students.

COMMUNITY

CANADA’S NATIONAL GINGERBREAD SHOWCASE

These aren’t your average Walmart gingerbread house kits. Check out some delicious gingerbread homes, decked out with delectable treats on top with this year’s theme of “Around the World.” They’ll look scrumptious, but we don’t suggest you try to eat these masterpieces—months old gingerbread is better looked at than gobbled.

Open until Monday, Jan. 2, 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.

Inn at Laurel Point, 80 Montreal St.

Admission by donation to Habitat for Humanity.

CHRISTMAS CRAFT BEER SHOW

Sometimes you just need to throw back a brew or five to deal with the Holiday blues. This festival will fill the gap from the cold ones you enjoyed in the summer to the strong winter ales we might need to get through dinners with our family. Local micro-breweries will share their fare and their favourite cups of holiday cheer.

Friday, Dec. 2, 5–9 p.m, and Saturday, Dec. 3, 1–5 p.m

Save On Foods Memorial Centre, 1925 Blanshard St.

Tickets are $40 for single admission or $70 for the whole weekend.

18TH ANNUAL IEOA TRUCK LIGHT CONVOY AND FOOD DRIVE

Need a break from finals to look at a bunch of pretty lights? Check out the Island Equipment Owners Association’s food drive! You can drop off food donations to select locations found on their website, and in exchange watch the great big convoy dazzle the city streets. You can always study later.

Saturday, Dec. 3, approximately 6:30 p.m.

Various locations including Blanshard Street, Belleville Street, and Government Street

Check out ieoa.ca for more information.

OUR RELATIONSHIP TO NATURE AND STORYTELLING IN THE DIGITAL AGE
Come on down to the David Lam Auditorium for a free public lecture with Leanne Allison, renowned documentary filmmaker behind Being Caribou, Finding Farley, and the interactive Bear 71, and learn all about her excursions in the rugged Canadian wilderness.

Monday, Dec. 5, 7–8:30 p.m.

David Lam Auditorium, MacLaurin Building

Admission is free.

THEATRE

THE POLAR EXPRESS

It’s a Christmas classic hitting the big screen which only amplifies the holiday feels. Tom Hanks leads us to the North Pole to find the spirit of Christmas. You might be the old adult there without kids, but it’s a good excuse to shout, “Look, the elves!” on cue with the movie.

Dec. 1–31, showtimes vary.

IMAX Victoria, 675 Belleville St.

Tickets are $14 for students.

ROYAL WINNIPEG BALLET’S NUTCRACKER
Get a little cultured this holiday season. This rendition of the unforgettable story has a Canadian twist, from hockey games on a frozen lake to RCMP officers battling the Rat King, to help you get into the idea of dancers in tight stockings.

Friday, Dec. 2, 7:30 p.m.; Saturday, Dec. 3, 2 p.m. & 7:30 p.m.; Sunday, Dec. 4, 2 p.m.

Royal Theatre, 805 Broughton St.

Tickets are $29-$100 and are available online at rmts.bc.ca.