(Makes about 10 patties)
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup raw honey
- ½ teaspoon peppermint essential oil (not extract)
- 100-gram dark chocolate bar or 100 grams dark chocolate chips
- In a cereal bowl, combine the coconut oil, honey, and peppermint oil. Mix with a spoon until smooth and creamy (no clumps, but not liquid).
- Throw the mixture in the freezer for a minute or two until the oil starts to harden, then remove.
- Spoon coconut oil onto a baking sheet or plate lined with wax paper or parchment. Roll into balls.
- Place back in freezer for a minute to firm (not too long or they won’t flatten).
- While they’re are in the freezer, melt chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl on a medium – low power level for about 1–1 ½ minutes.
- Remove rolls and flatten into patties with a spoon.
- Dip patties into chocolate and coat completely.
- Place plate back in freezer until chocolate is hard
Chocolate has the power to make life a little bit better and, I think, even more so when it comes in miniature form. Halloween-sized candy bars: they’re delicious, they’re cute, but they tend to come in hundred packs. And then there are those pesky midterms, which coax you into buying hundred packs of “study snacks,” or the common excuse of “stocking up early for the children” (otherwise known as you and your roommates).
Now let’s be real: with towers of Halloween candy looming over you every time you set foot in a grocery store, it’s tough to say no. So how does one resist buying all the chocolate? Look each box dead in the face and know that you can make something just as delicious and way healthier to satisfy your sweet tooth.
My cousin Lisa, a Registered Holistic Nutritionist (RHN) in the Okanagan, recommended this recipe to me from an InspireHealth blog. I couldn’t resist this tasty combination of my two loves, chocolate and mint. They take under 10 minutes to make and have four simple ingredients. The coconut oil really makes the texture. And if you use virgin coconut oil, which is much more fragrant than regular, it can contribute a subtle coconutty flavour. With a touch of peppermint oil and raw honey, it makes for a healthier treat than the sugar rush from candy bars. Keep these in the fridge or freezer and enjoy whenever you need a sweet fix.