Want to join one of the best student journalist teams in Canada? See all of our available positions below, and if you have any questions, email email@example.com for more information.
The Martlet seeks to recruit and foster a newsroom that reflects the diversity of the university population. We welcome applications from underrepresented groups. This includes (but is not limited to) visible minorities, Indigenous people, women, persons with disabilities, people of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
Job-sharing arrangements may be considered for applicants who wish to develop their skills and experience or have other unique circumstances. Any alternative work arrangements will be decided on a case-by-case basis in consultation with the applicant.
Business Manager — The Martlet Publishing Society
Application Deadline: Until filled
Reporting directly to the Martlet Publishing Society board of directors, the Business Manager is responsible for the overall administration, fiscal management, and day-to-day operation of the Martlet.
- Overall management and supervision of staff and volunteers
- Overall management of all administrative, office, and paper operations
- Handling all HR matters related to the organization
- Management of all accounting and budgeting matters for the organization
- Liaising with advertisers, maintaining ad contracts, and handling ad sales
- Coordinating paper distribution bi-weekly
- Take direction from the board of directors on all duties
- Work collaboratively with the EIC to carry out the day-to-day operations of the MPS
- Develop and maintain policies and procedures for the MPS
- Ensure all annual reports and society documents are up-to-date and properly filed
- Have experience with or training in fiscal management, HR, and nonprofit management
- Ability to work long hours in a high-pressure student environment with staff and volunteers who hold diverse perspectives
- Experience in media management an asset
- Conflict management training an asset
- Experience in sales an asset
- Experience with accounting software an asset
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain open until filled. Only successful candidates will be contacted for interviews. This is a full-time position.
Web Editor — The Martlet Publishing Society
Application Deadline: Until filled
The Web Editor will work closely with the Editor-in-Chief to coordinate the Martlet’s social media strategy and optimize articles for our online readers, which make up the vast majority of our readership. The ideal candidate will have a keen eye for detail, a readiness to learn on the job, and experience in social media strategy.
- Craft our biweekly social media strategy for each Martlet issue, with the Editor-in-chief
- Schedule all articles on to our WordPress site and schedule social media posts
- Collaborate with writers to advise social media captions for articles
- Attend team meetings and copy-editing
- Complete basic edits to our WordPress website
- Work with the Editor-in-chief to create event postings on social media when necessary
- Cultivate and build the Martlet’s online presence
- Exceptional computer and writing skills necessary
- Familiarity with WordPress and basic HTML knowledge
- Motivated and outgoing self-starter
- Willingness to collaborate with a team of diverse perspectives
- Experience with social media analytics an asset
- Experience in marketing, campaigns, or communications an asset
- Previous work or familiarity with journalism or nonprofits an asset
- Ability to work independently and occasionally remotely
- Excellent communication skills, leadership abilities, and interpersonal skills
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com. The position will remain open until filled. Only successful candidates will be contacted for interviews. This is a part-time position.