Reporting to the board of directors, the Executive Director is dually responsible for implementing strategic initiatives and overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Martlet Publishing Society. On a day-to-day basis, the ED will work collaboratively with the Editor-in-Chief to manage and supervise all teams of staff and volunteers and will be responsible for carrying out all administrative functions within the organization. As the administrative lead, the ED will maintain functional knowledge of the MPS and nonprofit management, liaise with key stakeholders, and will execute HR and fiscal operations to ensure the functional success of the MPS. These duties will be paired with strategic operational planning initiatives executed on behalf of, and with direction from, the board of directors.
A successful candidate for Executive Director will be an individual with a multifaceted skillset who is capable of prioritizing tasks and wearing multiple hats. They will be capable of learning and adapting on the job and will have excellent problem-solving skills. This position provides the opportunity to learn and grow in many different areas related to nonprofit management and would be ideal for a recent graduate looking to hone their knowledge and skills.
Qualifications and competencies
- Diploma, degree or equivalent education and experience in nonprofit management, business administration, or a related field
- Have knowledge of or experience with fiscal management, HR, and nonprofit management
- Conflict management training an asset
- Experience in fundraising including proposal and grant writing an asset
- Experience with accounting software an asset
- Demonstrable ability to lead and manage a team
- Work collaboratively with the EIC to carry out the day-today operations
- Manage ad placements for advertising clients
- Research and apply for grants
- Plan and execute fundraising initiatives
- Basic bookkeeping tasks including issuing invoices, processing payroll, paying bills, tracking deposits, etc.
- Liaise with MPS BoD to implement strategic plans and initiatives and prepare reports as needed
- Oversee administrative and HR operations within the organization
- Build partnerships and maintain stakeholder engagement
This position will be a full-time, 35 hour per week position and will be contracted for one year with the option to renew upon a satisfactory performance review. The compensation range for this position will be between $35,000 and $45,000, dependent on experience. To apply, send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview. Applications will be remain open until the position is filled.