Want to join one of the best student journalist teams in Canada? See all of our available positions below, and if you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The Martlet Editor-in-Chief—The Martlet Publishing Society
Application Deadline: April 18, 2019
In co-operation with the Martlet staff and in accordance with the bylaws and policies of the MPS, the Editor-in-Chief will be responsible for the overall direction, continuity, and quality of the Martlet’s editorial content.
Take responsibility for the editorial decisions of the paper.
With business manager and design director, ensure all necessary requirements for bi-weekly print publication of the paper have been met.
Understand and work within the guidelines of the Martlet Publishing Society.
Understand libel, fact checking, FOI requests, and how to manage risk..
Edit all print stories, ensuring that print and web copy is edited by at least two different people (not including copy edits).
Assist writers with stories as necessary.
Assist editors with fact checking as necessary.
Write section stories and contribute to editorials as necessary.
Act as an information resource person for staff members, society groups, and the general public.
Conduct or arrange workshops throughout term to help with skills as necessary.
In conjunction with business manager and design director, assist in the recruitment, hiring, and training of part-time employees and volunteers.
In conjunction with the design director, take responsibility for the Martlet multimedia programs, and work with staff and volunteers to ensure their success.
In absence of web or editorial assistants, ensure all multimedia stories are accurately copy-edited and fact-checked.
In collaboration with web editor, maintain and increase the Martlet’s online presence on social media.
Ensure that employees carry out their responsibilities as described in their job descriptions.
Establish deadlines and assist editorial assistants in enforcing them.
Organize and attend design meetings, story meetings, and editorial meetings for each issue.
Ensure staff and volunteers are informed about story ideas, meetings and other paper-related events.
Ensure the Martlet website is frequently updated with relevant, timely content that complements and supplements the print edition.
Take responsibility for comment moderation on the Martlet website and on social media channels.
Promote a healthy working relationship with the other staff, volunteers, and the board of directors.
In conjunction with the design director and the business manager, ensure the office is a tidy, respectful environment.
Participate in committees as decided by staff and the bylaws of the society.
Sit on the Editor-in-Chief hiring committee for the following volume.
Write and submit a transition report prior to the end of tenure.
Knowledge of newspaper writing, editing and layout; demonstrated previous experience with editing.
Ability to show leadership and delegate tasks as required.
Ability to work long hours in a high-pressure student environment with staff and volunteers who hold diverse perspectives.
Knowledge of defamation, copyright laws, Canadian Press style.
Knowledge of Adobe InDesign an asset.
Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop favourable.
Some knowledge of how to take and edit photos for print and web favourable.
Familiarity with CMS and/or publishing favourable.
Send your resume, cover letter, and three writing samples to email@example.com. Only successful candidates will be contacted for interviews. Please note this is a full-time position.
The Martlet Design Director—The Martlet Publishing Society
Application Deadline: April 18, 2019
The Martlet, the University of Victoria’s independent student newspaper, is looking for a bright-eyed individual with a passion for page layout and graphic design to join our team as our new Design Director. In co-operation with the Martlet staff and in accordance with the bylaws and policies of the MPS, the Design Director will be responsible for the overall design and production quality of the paper, as well as other related media.
As Design Director, you’ll be working to ensure that our bi-weekly publication looks sharp: page layouts, graphic assets, you name it. You’ll also be working directly with other production staff and volunteers to take photos and illustrate images for stories (and creating a few yourself when necessary). Ideally, you’re a current (or recent) university student with a creative streak and a familiarity with the post-secondary environment.
- Report to the Editor-in-Chief and the Business Manager on design and organizational decisions.
- Liaise with other part-time production staff of the Martlet.
- Take responsibility for the visual elements of the paper, website, and multimedia content, and with the Business Manager and the Editor-in-Chief, ensure all necessary requirements for bi-weekly publication of the paper have been met.
- Manage group of volunteers, regularly pitch and assign graphics and illustration tasks
- Prepare and upload final press-ready PDF files to the printer.
- Work with the Business Manager to design ads.
- With the Editor-in-Chief, take responsibility for uploading content to the Martlet website (in absence of web editor).
- Act as an information resource person for staff members regarding principles of design and layout.
- Assist staff and volunteers with aspects of design and layout as required.
- Attend weekly critiques of the paper, cover meetings, and editorial meetings.
- Proficiency with Adobe InDesign in a Mac environment
- Proficiency with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator in a Mac environment
- Knowledge of newspaper layout principles
- Basic photo editing skills
- Demonstrable experience in creating informative graphic elements for print and web
- Familiarity with online content and/or publishing; experience with WordPress and social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) a bonus
- Ability to work to deadlines in a student-oriented environment with individuals who hold diverse perspectives
- Basic knowledge of defamation and copyright laws
- Commitment to the goals of the Martlet
- Proficiency with CMS and/or publishing an asset
Send your resume, cover letter, and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only successful candidates will be contacted for interviews. Please note this is a part-time position.
The Martlet Ad Sales Representative—The Martlet Publishing Society
Application Deadline: Open until filled
The ad sales representative will work directly with the Business Manager to coordinate ad sales for the paper and Martlet website.
- Develop new advertising client relationships and maintain existing client relationships
- Communicate requirements for ad specifications clearly to clients
- Work with the Design Director to build ads for clients when necessary
- Ensure ad contracts are filled out correctly, sent to clients, signed and returned by clients
- Work with the Business Manager to maintain an advertising runsheet, and to ensure that all ad artwork is submitted by clients on time for publication
- Work with the Business Manager to ensure that clients receive accurate and timely invoices for ad runs
- Experience in sales necessary
- Experience with cold calling an asset
- Ability to work independently and remotely
- Experience with Adobe Acrobat and various digital signing programs an asset
- Excellent communication skills, leadership abilities, and interpersonal skills
- Motivated and outgoing personality
- Ability to work in a team environment with people holding diverse perspectives
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com. The position will remain open until filled. Only successful candidates will be contacted for interviews. This is a part-time position.