The Martlet’s 2020 in photos

Culture

2020 was a historic and tumultuous year. The Martlet’s top photos show moments of resistance and resilience. To allow the images to speak for themselves, we’ve added very minimal captions.

Without further adieu, here are the Martlet’s best shots from 2020.

poster at MSTH rally shows COVID-19 deaths to overdose deaths
Photo by Kiley Verbowski, at a Moms Stop the Harm (MSTH) rally.
on campus party at UVic during pandemic being shut down by SaanichPD
Saanich Police shut down a gathering on campus during the first week of university. Photo by Michael John Lo.
A playground during the early days of COVID-19 in March. Photo by Joshua Ngenda.
Black Lives Matter protesters take to the streets following the death of George Floyd. Photo by Josh Kozelj.
Over 8 000 people gathered in Centennial Square for a Black Lives Matter Peace Rally led by UVic students. Photo by Michael John Lo.
Photo by Michael John Lo of Shae Smith and his dog, Tony in Beacon Hill Park.

March 5 – After meeting with the Minister of Indigenous Affairs and Reconciliation, five Indigenous Youth for Wet’suwet’en refused to leave and were arrested inside the legislature. They were in the legislature from 9pm to 2am, as a crowd of allies and other Indigenous youth waited outside the legislature with little information about their whereabouts. At one point in the evening, in a parking lot at Douglas Street and Belleville Street, Indigenous youth, allies, and police engaged in a standoff for about five minutes. After one Indigenous person placed himself in front of a police vehicle, the officer continued to drive and ultimately hit the Indigenous person. 

Photo by Mike Graeme.
Photo by Mike Graeme.
Wet’suwet’en land defenders form a blockade at the ferry terminal. Photo by Joshua Ngenda. Ngenda’s full photo essay from Indigenous sovereignty is here.
Photo by Joshua Ngenda, for the feature “Why Kolin Sutherland-Wilson can’t stay quiet”
board of governors (bog) meeting, president jamie cassels
Jamie Cassels leads the Board of Governors into the meeting to pass the responsible investment policy, surrounded by a crowd of Divest protesters. Photo by Joshua Ngenda, January 2020.