Events March 17–31

Events

ART

Vic Slam [Poetry]

Think you’re a poet? Join the competition and prove it. There are 12 slots up for grabs, and you’ll get three minutes to perform before an audience and judges. The top five go on to the second round where we find out who will be crowned the night’s mega-awesome, ultra-talented Slam Champion!

Solstice Café, 529 Pandora Avenue

Thursday, Mar 17 at 8 p.m.

$6-10, sliding scale, at the door

MUSIC

Dada Plan, Johnny de Courcy, and Painted Fruit

Dada Plan is an avant-garde art experiment in a pop-rock cloak — catchy and weirdly peaceful escapism. Johnny de Courcy is a beautiful being delivering an emotional rocky ride, while Painted Fruit tie the set together with their chill, vintage stylings.

Upstairs Cabaret

Friday, Mar. 18 at 7:30 p.m.

$10 at the door

Mild High Club, Freak Heat Waves, and Jons

Mild High Club is a psychedelic happy and weird rock group making huge statements in the music world, and Victoria’s finest bands get to welcome them. Freak Heat Waves always live up to their hot and steamy post-punk name, and Jons are just four casual and dreamy psych rock gods. This line-up is a true gift; it’d be wise to accept it.

Logan’s, 1821 Cook Street

Thursday, Mar. 31 at 8 p.m.

$12 at the door

COMMUNITY

Moving Trans History Forward

This conference brings over 100 community activists, academics, and artists from around the world for transgender research and activism to UVic. On Sunday at 9 a.m., five key founders of trans activism and research will host in a panel discussion about their experiences as activists, educators, politicians, artists, and scholars.

University of Victoria

Thursday, Mar. 17 to Sunday, Mar. 20

Free and open to the public!

Yoga for Anxiety and Depression

Saturday features a yoga practice balancing stress and anxiety. Sunday offers mood support to combat depression including breathing exercises and meditation. Both days leave time for discussion and questions, and will send you home with a worksheet to help you continue the practices you learn.

Hemma, 1272 May Street

Saturday, Mar. 19 from 2–4 p.m. and Sunday, Mar. 20 from 2–4 p.m.

Tickets $30 for one day or $55 for two at hemma.ca

Grafting Workshop

Take home your own grafted fruit tree! This hands-on workshop teaches the theory and practice of fruit tree grafting, the ancient art of propagating trees. Please bring something like a sharp knife to work with different apple tree varieties.

Fernwood Community Centre, 1240 Gladstone Ave.

Friday, Mar. 19 from 2–5 p.m.

Please register in advance at eventbrite.ca/e/grafting-workshop-take-home-your-own-grafted-fruit-tree-tickets 

Free event with suggested donation of $10–$30 per tree

Victoria Flea Market

Hit up this weekly event and discover unique vendors selling the coolest goods: vintage typewriters, art, retro furnishings, clothes, ceramics, vinyl, and all sorts of repurposed items.

411 Gorge Road E.

Sunday, Mar. 20 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

$2 admission

The World We Want Fundraiser

Come to this important, interactive learning seminar, sharing refugee struggles and personal stories. Hosted by a UVic class to raise money for the Intercultural Association of Greater Victoria, the event features video footage of a refugee crisis panel, art installations, performers, dance, food, and much more.

Victoria City Hall

Wednesday, Mar. 30 from 7–10 p.m.

Admission by donation