Licence plate numbers now needed for day parking

Starting on Monday, June 26, drivers using UVic parking lots will be forced to input their licence plate numbers when buying hourly or full-day parking passes.

The new “Pay by Licence” (PBL) program is the first step in UVic’s plan to replace all paper tickets with what UVic calls “virtual permits”. 

For now, parking rates and the payment process are the same — only the addition of inputting a licence plate is different. The individualized nature of each ticket, however, means that drivers are no longer able to share hourly or full-day parking passes. 

A Campus Security news release says the program will reduce litter on campus, reduce the time spent walking back to a car to put the parking pass in the dashboard, and eliminate the chance of losing your pass. 

A photo of the new signs informing UVic parkers of the changes. Photo by Cormac O'Brien, Editor-in-Chief

New signs posted in UVic parking lots inform drivers of the changes. Photo by Cormac O’Brien, Editor-in-Chief

The PBL system paves the way for UVic’s ultimate parking plan — “Licence Plate Recognition” (LPR). Starting in the fall of 2017, all parkers on campus — those there for the day or with an annual pass — will register their licence plate number before parking. Parking permits will be tracked by a campus security vehicle driving around campus taking photos of car licence plates.

If a licence plate is found that doesn’t have an attached virtual permit, that vehicle is subject to a citation.

Students buying an annual parking pass will register their licence plate online through Netlink ID. UVic hopes that online registration for parking opens the possibility of mobile payment as an additional payment option.

For more information, check out Campus Security’s FAQ here.

• Anonymoose

If people are too cheap to pay for their parking then they should take public transit. Better for the environment too 🙂

• Alibaba

Mobile payment is better for those who live with mobility issues. You don’t have to get out of the car and get a ticket and get back in and move your car.

• Cormac O’Brien

Hi Alibaba,

The Martlet is establishing a comments section for our next issue and would love to use this comment. Would you be OK with that?

• Cormac O’Brien

Hi Alibaba — my name’s Cormac and I’m the editor-in-chief of the Martlet.

• Alibaba

Fine with me!