Tasty sips to get you through the rest of summer

As quickly as it began, #Summer2K16 is winding to a close. The evenings are long and warm, and Government Street is swarming with tourists. For those of us returning to classes in the fall, September is still a distant spot on the horizon, but a spot that is rapidly approaching nonetheless.

But there’s no need to start looking for textbooks quite yet. Why not enjoy the last few weekends on the beach or around a fire, toasting to a glorious four months of freedom?

We’ve compiled six easy cocktail recipes that seem a lot more sophisticated than they really are. Enjoy!

Pictured from left to right: Pimms, Sea Breeze, the “It’s Fancier than Beer,” and a Tequila Sunrise. Mhmm. Photo by Sarah Lazin, Staff Writer

PIMMS

1 part Pimms No.1 Cup

4 parts 7Up (or Sprite)

Assorted fruit to garnish. The classic calls for sliced strawberries, cucumber, mint and orange, but blueberries are also a nice choice. The fruit makes drinking healthy, right?

Ice

Perhaps the fanciest drink on the list. Combine Pimms and 7Up (or “lemonade” as the Brits call it). Decorate with your favourite summer fruits (suggestions listed above).

THE “IT’S FANCIER THAN BEER”

1–2 oz. gin or vodka

1–2 oz. orange juice

Ginger ale

Ice

Slice of orange and/or sprigs of mint to garnish

Pour gin or vodka and orange juice over ice. Top up with ginger ale and garnish with the orange or mint sprigs as you see fit.

TEQUILA SUNRISE

1–2 oz silver tequila

Orange juice

Splash of grenadine

Crushed ice

Pour the tequila over crushed ice in a highball glass. You can chill the glass in the fridge if you’re feeling really fancy. Top up the glass with orange juice. Holding the glass at a slight angle, slowly pour in the grenadine.

SEA BREEZE

1–2 oz. vodka

1–2 oz. cranberry juice

Grapefruit juice

Ice

Pour vodka and cranberry juice over ice. Top up with grapefruit juice. (You can add 7-Up if it’s too tart.) Serve with a straw. (Again, if you’re feeling fancy, you can serve in a chilled glass if that suits you.)

LEANNE’S PINK MIMOSA* 

3 parts rosé (chilled)

1 part grapefruit juice

7Up

Ice 

Combine grapefruit juice and rosé. Sweeten with 7Up if your palate (like mine) isn’t “mature enough.” Serve with ice, if that’s what you like.

*This drink might go by other names, but I’m naming it after my sister-in-law who taught me how to make them.

MIMOSAS (THE REAL DEAL)

Combine equal parts prosecco and orange juice.

That’s literally it. Be sure to choose a dry prosecco so it isn’t too sweet.